I am an associate professor at the Department of Computer Science at the University of Innsbruck, Austria, and a guest professor at the Department of Software Engineering at the Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden. I am affiliated with the research group Quality Engineering. In 2014, I was a guest researcher at Lund University, Sweden, and in 2015 a guest lecturer at the University of Stuttgart, Germany. I hold a habilitation degree from the University of Innsbruck, co-authored more than 150 publications, and received 10 best paper awards.
My fields of expertise and interest include software quality, testing, software and security processes, risk management, data-driven engineering, software analytics and measurement, requirements engineering, model-based software engineering, software engineering education, and empirical research methodology in software and security engineering.
My research especially also has an empirical focus also using methods of data science and is directed towards the development and evaluation of efficient and effective methods to improve the quality and value of industrial software systems and processes in close collaboration with companies.
I have more than 15 years of industrial experience as a senior executive consultant, project manager, and software engineer. I am a co-founder of the startup QE LaB Business Services.
I am an internationally recognized member of the software engineering research community and support it as an editorial board member of several journals (e.g. IST), organizer of conferences (e.g., General Chair of SE 20 and PROFES 2017, Program Co-Chair of TechDebt 2020 and SEAA 2017, Industry Co-Chair of ESEC/FSE 2019), editor of several special issues, as well as regular PC member of premier conferences and reviewer for premier journals and funding organizations. Furthermore, I have been a member of several steering committees including ISERN, RET, TAIC PART, and PROFES (2017-2019).
I am a member of the International Software Engineering Research Network (ISERN) as well as of the professional organizations ACM, GI, and OCG.
I am also an experienced educator and have taught more than 40 different courses, hold an additional teacher training degree, and have been involved in the development of new educational programs and E-Learning concepts. I have been the principal supervisor of seven PhD and more than 30 master theses.
Finally, I have given several keynotes and many invited talks at conferences, research institutions, and companies.
In my spare time, I especially enjoy reading, cycling and ski touring.
Membership in Editorial Boards of Journals
- Information and Software Technology (IST)
- IET Software
- International Journal on Secure Software Engineering (IJSSE)
- LNCS Transactions on Foundations for Mastering Change (FoMaC)
Editing of Special Issues in Journals
- Special Issue on Quality Engineering and Management of Software-Intensive Systems in Journal of Systems and Software (together with Helena Holmström Olsson and Rick Rabiser)
- Special Section on Automation and Analytics for Greener Software Engineering in Information & Software Technology (together with Dietmar Pfahl)
- Special Issue on Collaboration in Software Testing between Industry and Academia in Software Quality Journal (together with Rudolf Ramler)
- Special Section on Risk-Based Testing in International Journal on Software Tools for Technology Transfer (together with Ina Schieferdecker)
- Special Issue on Software Quality in IEEE Software (together with Ruth Breu and Annie Combelles)
- Special Section on Eternal Software Evolution in International Journal on Software Tools for Technology Transfer (together with Basel Katt)
- Together We Are Stronger: Evidence-Based Reflections on Industry-Academia Collaboration in Software Testing, Software Quality Days (SWQD 2020), Vienna, Austria
- Gemeinsam sind wir stärker: Empirische Untersuchungen & persönliche Erfahrungen zur erfolgreichen Kooperation zwischen Firmen & Universitäten, ASQT 2019, Bolzano, Italy
- Risk-based Software Quality and Security Engineering in Data-intensive Environments. 5th International Conference on Future Data and Security Engineering (FDSE 2018), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Current State and Challenges for Model-Based Security Testing. 6th International Workshop on Security Testing (SECTEST 2015), Graz, Austria
- I provide professional consulting services in software, data and security engineering – feel free to contact me!